About Wicked Cool Baby

WCB has some of the funniest and creative baby shirts, onesies and accessories offered on the web and we are growing all the time! Come see the latest designs we have to offer. Wicked Cool Baby playwear makes great gifts for showers and birthdays or you can outfit your own little cuties! You want your kids to be cool, RIGHT?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Onesie Crosses the Line for Some

From the desk of Wicked Cool Baby:


Last week a particular printed onesie was in the news, available at Gordman’s (at least in Mississippi) for a short time before the powers that be, removed it from the shelves reacting to outraged parents who felt it was wildly inappropriate.
Since this is a related topic to what Wicked Cool Baby does, I felt the need to comment.

I get why parents would dislike this particular onesie, I rather dislike the design myself. I feel it’s inappropriate to create infant wear that depicts any design that is sexual in nature. I’m guessing that’s the basis for the parental outrage over this one; it’s distasteful. By the sound of this story, I’m not alone in my thinking.

I have also seen onesies and infant wear that comment on sperm “winning” and Daddy “getting it up”…I hate these too!  Although, I have to say, over the years I’ve seen other things that bothered me much more, like Abercrombie’s “Push-up” bikini tops for 7 year olds (padded tops) last year http://tinyurl.com/6s93f3y  and a few years back, thong underwear in very small sizes featuring a charm on the back center which appealed to the littlest girls (I don’t remember where), not to mention the crotchless undies recently for sale at the “Kids N Teen” shop here in Colorado. http://tinyurl.com/7gbngbc

Those are a few of the more extreme instances. Kinda makes the bikini onesie from Gordman’s seem a bit tamer…or not. Some folks said it didn’t bother them while others were offended. Wherever your thinking falls on this issue, the bottom line is that babies, infants and children are not supposed to be sexy, objectified or sexualized. That being said, realize that this bikini onesie was supposed to be all in fun, it’s intended as a joke, albeit not a very funny one. This is why you’ll never find these types of designs at Wicked Cool Baby.

How do you feel about this bikini onesie? All in fun or wildly inappropriate?

*************************************

Wicked Cool Baby.com strives to be cute, funny and maybe a bit naughty without being gross, distasteful or nasty. We believe our baby onesies and toddler tees are a wicked cool and fun addition to any infant’s wardrobe. ~WCB staff

*************************************

No comments: