About Wicked Cool Baby

WCB has some of the funniest and creative baby shirts, onesies and accessories offered on the web and we are growing all the time! Come see the latest designs we have to offer. Wicked Cool Baby playwear makes great gifts for showers and birthdays or you can outfit your own little cuties! You want your kids to be cool, RIGHT?

Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Because I said so, that's why"

In my house growing up, I didn’t hear this very often. And it wasn’t because I never asked, “Why”? It was because I was raised by authoritarian parents and you didn’t dare say anything but “Yes, Sir” or “Yes, Ma’am” when told to do things, especially if they were mad. Nevertheless, my siblings and I did hear it, as do most kids at some point in their upbringing. I swore I would never say it as an adult.


While the younger set just says “No” multiple times, toddlers have a tendency toward asking “Why”? over and over and over again. That’s because at this point they are discovering the back and forth art of conversation, even if they don’t understand what’s being said exactly.

Experts say these are words you should never speak….and that you should have a good answer/reason why you’re asking the child to do something. What? Really? As if once you explain it to your little darling, that will be the end of it. As if the child won’t look you right in the eye and continue doing exactly what you asked him not to and ask, “But, Why”? Right!

Believe me, I have a reason “why” but I refuse to stand there and banter back and forth. I’m the adult and this child needs to understand that pecking order. I’m teaching him to follow rules, right? …and respect his elders, right? Besides, sometimes it’s all you have the energy for. I get it now. So I said, “Because I told you to”.…and it worked, I guess cause there’s no real good argument against it.

No comments: